I was recently on a trip to Vancouver to do a book signing for my published book, the Accidental Baker: a cake for every crisis. I should have been thinking only about what I would say and do while revisiting with friends at that event. Somehow I had a few extra minutes before meeting "the Girls" for lunch at the Mall in West Vancouver, I strayed into a book store and you guessed right, my eyes went to a baking/chocolate book. Do I need another book about cooking/baking and chocolate? No. However I am always expecting to see another new way to create something wonderful! Besides it was on the sale table and only $5.00. Once back home in Sebring, I was almost embarrassed to reveal my only purchase, a new book. Obviously an impulse buy.
But wait, it happened again just the other day in downtown Sebring at the Habitat store. Again I was on the way to an appointment, had a few minutes to spare and thought I would check out the Habitat for Humanity store for bargains. I was almost out the door when the last row of items caught my eye. It was a stack of cooking books. I know I don't want any of these I said to myself! But of course here was a fresh and delicious book on all things chocolate. It looked brand new, and had wonderful pictures plus chatty dialogue around each recipe. It was only $1.00 so I had to have it. The book is... "Chocolate Bar", the name of a boutique shop in Manhattan, New York. For the past few days, whenever I have free moments, I have been reading all about this shop and trying to decide what to bake first. Let me explain "Free Moments".
I have these few unexpected free moments because two weeks ago I had minor but tricky eye surgery to correct watery eyes. I am supposed to be keeping a low profile, that means no Pickleball every morning! Well, I cheated and started playing again but the watery eyes have continued so the problem is not solved yet. Maybe I need to follow Dr.'s orders to give healing a chance...thus the freed-up hours in my day.
Here is the the book. A recipe for Mud Slide cookies follows.
I started getting all the ingredients on the counter ready to bake. I was really into it now.
So here is the finished cookie! These are really deep chocolate. I made them a bit smaller than the recipe suggested but they still turned out quite big.
Here are the ingredients:
6 oz. bitter chocolate
16 0z bitter-sweet chocolate
3/8 cup unsalted b utter
2 cups sugar
5 eggs
1/2 cup flour, (yes only 1/2 cup)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
16 oz. bittersweet chocolate chunks
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
Method
Oven 400
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
Melt first 2 chocolates together in metal bowl over hot water. Set aside to cool.
Cream butter, sugar until fluffy in mixer. Add eggs blend well.
Add flour, baking powder and salt .
Add cooled, melted chocolate, stir to blend
Add additional chocolate chunks and walnuts. Press out onto one sheet pan to chill in fridge for about 10 minutes.
Cut into squares, about 20,(big), or 30 squares, roll each into a ball with fingers, and place on cookie sheets, about 9 to a pan, leaving space to expand. (With all that chocolate and not much flour, I thought it would be runny but no, it baked just right.)
Bake about 10-15 minutes, leaving the centers quite soft.
Cool on cake racks. Store in closed container. Cookies mellow nicely. These are really chocolaty!
So far I have only eaten 3, I am trying to pace myself. My next recipe will be a pie from the same book. A rice crispy crust. Wait for my next details for this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment