Saturday, December 27, 2014

After Holiday Thoughts

Hi again, yes I'm still reeling after all the food events of 2014. How did I manage to do it all in years past? High end noshing has gone on for too many days! Our "Sweet Pickles" get together, culminated our Pickleball girls season with a noisy gathering at a Mexican restaurant near by. After many margaritas, (which are only .99 cents), the flood of empty goblets created a champagne style pyramid on the center of the table. We had taken over the whole place and of course everyone had a fun time! After that blow out, came cocktail parties, dinner parties, eventually a comfortable Christmas dinner last night for 4 ). Mike and me, Ray, (Mike's brother) and my friend Joanne Wiggin).

Speaking of Joanne, it was at her new house in early December that I did a house warming and celebrated her 75th birthday. About 30 people, mostly her friends from her former neighborhood, Reflections, but also some of her acquaintances at Edward Jones, the investment group. A special person from there, Allan Holmes, a very likeable financial adviser, came and enjoyed the spread and was pleased to see Joanne so happy in her new surroundings. For my part, the party was mostly a gift although Joanne did cover some of the food costs to help out. You know how fast all those special ingredients can add up. Anyway, I  rented plates and wine glasses to pull it together so Joanne's china and glassware could stay in the new cupboards. The menu was geared for pick up appetizers; using pepper crackers for the Tuna Paté and small, soft rolls for the slivers of succulent ham. Several rough mustards and my cranberry marmalade were nearby to enhance the glazed ham. It was all suitable for this crowd to manage. We did have forks for those that thought it was needed but on the most part it was not until the dessert table that forks were in order. A big Carrot Cake was Joanne's request for her Birthday so I made that special with fresh raspberries inside and sugared almonds pressed on the outsides all around giving a delicious crunchy finish. One dessert is never enough so tall flutes of Zabaglione Freddo, a chilled Italian style mousse was my choice, topped with crushed Pistachios. It created a nice grouping clustered on a heart shaped copper tray. One final touch was a silver tray of Christmas Shortbread cookies each garnished with a red glace cherry. These were quite special as I had added minced dried cranberries and crystallized ginger to the original shortbread dough. Everyone loved them.


The dessert table
Cheese selection and Baked Brie with cranberries

So the holiday season got started.
On to the actual day, Christmas Day and dinner! Finally just the 4 of us as mentioned above. To set the scene we had the fireplace crackling and all the candles lit. A relaxed pace, plates on the table of  tossed greens, slivers of red onion, juicy pomegranate seeds, tidbits of goat cheese and a light vinaigrette. Hot turkey was cut up and served from the kitchen island, everyone carefully taking hot plates filled with turkey pieces of choice, aromatic stuffing, a carrot and parsnip melange roasted in the oven and of course mashed potatoes. Don't forget  my cranberry marmalade: I think my best yet!  
After a conversation break discussing world peace, we used our spoons to tackle the crusty sugar topping of Crème Brulee. Wines were Pinot Grigio to start and Merlot for the entree. So far these are my recollections until New Years Eve when I hope to finish off the year.
Bye now,
B


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara and I met in December of 2013 and have become very close friends. I've attended several of her book signings and other social events in her home. A dinner at Barbara's is an event to be long remembered.

    In October of 2014 I moved into a new home here in Sebring, FL. Barbara very graciously offered to put on a combination house warming/birthday party for me in December. I was thrilled and accepted immediately knowing it would be a very special occasion with her culinary talents.

    The day arrived and my rather small kitchen became of flurry of activity with tables being set, etc. Mike, her husband, contributed greatly and acted as bartender. My request for a carrot birthday cake was honored and you can imagine how scrumptious it tasted and beautifully decorated as well.

    The party was a huge success and everyone enjoyed every item on the menu which Barbara spent hours in preparation of presenting.

    I cannot Thank You enough, Barbara and Mike for giving me a lovely day to be remembered forever.

    Love & Hugs,
    Joanne Wiggin

    ReplyDelete