Thursday, May 22, 2014

Growing Older

Growing Older


One, there are usually no little children racing up and down the streets shouting and making an annoying racket. Grandchildren only visit, not to stay.

Two, many of the residents are like- minded: are available for hobbies; crafts, (stained glass),card games, (Bridge, Euchre, Hand and Foot, or Mah Jong), sport activities, model boat sailing,  Petanque, Water Volleyball, or Pickleball). What is Pickleball?


Or possibly retired with an interesting new career, (published author)?


Three, new friends abound. So many choices and good times ahead. Everyone is friendly: we even high five as our golf carts pass each other on the roadways.

But this is not what I wanted to talk about.
Over this last year,(we have now been here seven ), I have attended more memorials than expected. When everyone is over 55 and many are well beyond that, health issues are not uncommon. Sometimes, I am just a concerned acquaintance showing support, part of the same club or activity. In this case, the deceased was
first a cancer survivor in remission for six years, but then, after a courageous effort, finally succumbed to the disease. Her close friends organized a lovely reception in our club house for a final farewell. Because I am the local foodie, they asked if I could add some fresh fruit to the table. I was pleased to participate in this small way.



The most recent memorial was for a deceased partner of one of our Pickleball group. Ellen, the survivor,  and her partner, Gail had been together many years before they chose to live in Tanglewood, our Park.
Pictures of Gail in happier days appeared on a wide screen TV in a slide show showing what a full life she had had; fishing, camping, enjoying life with Ellen and friends.
A member of our Pickleball group gave a tender eulogy interspersed with favorite music previously chosen by Gail and Ellen. There wasn't a dry eye.
The buffet followed with many adding their special food tributes to round out the chicken entree. I added my large carrot cake, artistically iced with the usual cream cheese frosting. It is how I chose to show my respects. The background music was soft and mellow creating a dignified ending as we each  expressed our sympathy.

I was very moved by this memorial and decided the very next day to put my own thoughts down on paper: to be found with my other legal documents on file.Whomever would be handling my memorial would be able to carry out my last requests. I included special music selections like Requiem, The Prayer,  I Will Always Love You and inspirational thoughts to those who would be gathered there. It would be like I was right in the room with everyone.
My 82 years have been wonderful up to now and I expect still many more.However,  no one  can tell the future. This is as far forward as I could envisage. I tell myself, I must make everyday full to the brim. It might be my last!
My dessert for tonight's dinner, baked apples with maple syrup,  is about ready to come out of the oven. When they are cooled, I will set each one in a wide sherbet glass and dress with a dollop of whipped cream.




Yum.
 Bye for now.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, thanks to you, now I know how to insert the pictures. They really make the whole thing come alive.

      Delete