Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Signing the Books

So I am down to the actual day for the Book Signing and here is my rant.  It has been such a busy time, really more than I should have taken on but I wanted to do everything in 11 days.

I drive myself over to the book store 3 hours ahead of the printed time to oversee the production of the Butternut/Carrot Soup, Cheese Straws and the Biscotti all from my book. The store was planning to offer this for nibbles. Well, Mark, the general helper at the store isn't very good at producing the baked items so I try to step in without stepping on his toes.
Next I am trying to go over all that I want to say once everyone  has arrived. BJ had 32 sign up at $45. a person. So Barbara Jo is making money on me. Her outlay to me for 11 books, (that's what my account says) is only .36 cents to me per book. I'm not  ready to get rich yet!
For the books, she buys at a much reduced rate from the printer, and it is bundled in the registration fee. I know she is in business for a profit, but the author basically gets nothing. Also I am not getting paid to be there. I guess as a new author, the chance to expose my book is the thing, For many of the 32, a lot already had my book and opted for a credit in her store, so that was a win win for her, plus some bought other books while they mingled there. I know it was my own doing to want to be in Vancouver, and guests are not aware of these logistics. It all looked very glamorous. This is the down side of not having a big publisher behind you, paying your way. Welcome to self book publishing, print on demand!

I loved the time I had to talk about my book; Once on stage,I feel my presentation went over very well, all were rapt up in my story. Friends, long time acquaintances, new faces plus most of my family were there. It was all worth it.
Maybe by next time, my book will be a best seller, and they will be paying me to appear. (I am optimistic)


1 comment:

  1. Barbara, they should have paid you to appear this time. Next time they will pay you to appear! I loved your book - and your recipes are excellent!!

    ReplyDelete