Thursday, July 17, 2014
More Travelling News
July 17 and July 26
This is an up date re my trip to Vancouver. My trip should have been titled The Tornado! Right from the start I had so many calendar dates and friends to see that hardly a minute went by unfilled.
Right after arriving in Vancouver and getting thru customs, (my son, David, picked me up) , we headed off to a late lunch in North Van at a water side bistro beside Lonsdale Quay. This delightful food destination was new to me since I had not been back to my home town for a real visit for 29 years. So many new buildings every where. The next day, Canada Day, we, (David and I), arranged to pick up my friend's car in the heart of the city. What a super friend to offer his car. Wow, every street was blocked off due to the holiday. After many twists and regrouping negotiating funny side streets, we arrived at the designated address on Alberni St. for the beautiful Shangri-La hotel and apartment complex. My friend drove up from the underground parking to meet us, he slides out, I slide into the drivers seat. He hands me the keys and away I go. Now I am gliding across the city in a beautiful silver Mercedes convertible. For two days, not wanting to be uncool and have to ask, I couldn't find the way to open the windows. This was my first test while ON MY OWN. It is already Wednesday and I am out to lunch to meet a girl friend of many years, across the city at the Granville Market area, the lovely Dockside Restaurant.
Victoria, LaVerne, Barbara at lunch.
How fun to catch up, remember old times, have lots of laughs and know we are still OK and vibrant. I am enjoying the perfect weather, just as it should be in July. Our two hour and a half at lunch is over and I must say goodby for now and head back to North Van for a six PM dinner engagement with my son and daughter in law Sharon at the Salmon House in West Van. This was my pick, even tho' there are many new places, but I have always loved the Salmon House with it's smokey aromas mingling with the scent of cedar bark and foods on the grill. The view isn't too bad either; a full sweep of the harbor including Stanley Park, then West to UBC and out to the gulf.
Thursday morning I was eager to on my way, becoming more relaxed with my sleek silver convertible as I drove across the city towards Richmond. My map said it would take about a good three quarter's of an hour. Merrie, my partner for the week-end tournament had just flown in from Toronto and was staying at a friend's apartment there. We previously had had several emails to set this all up, and I felt we were going to be a good match. She looked like a fun and energetic person. She is 72. After a few wrong turns in Richmond I found my address, sat in the car and gave her a call on my cell. Before long, she was knocking on my car window as I waited in the parking lot. We introduced ourselves while she loaded her luggage in the Mercede's small back seat, and we were on our way towards Abbotsford via Ladner, Surrey and Canada Hwy 1 East.
My challenging week-end was underway. While I drove and kept my eyes on the road, Merrie read the map, and we chattered away, filling in personal history and relevant information about our chances for the tournament. Not much time for strategy.
We arrived at our hotel in Abbotsford and checked in about 3 PM agreeing to meet in the lobby at 4.30 for a chance to get in a practice session over at the rec. center after 5.
When we registered at the rec. center for the next day, we could see our group was small. In our age group, 70+, only 3 teams but bundled in with us were two teams of age 65-69. I was so surprised---where were all the women in these age groups? (In Florida this was usually a competitive level.) So maybe our chances of coming off with something was obvious, gold, silver or bronze. We played well but they were better and we only came away with bronze.
Merrie Lee and Barbara on the medal stand in Abbotsford.
Better than nothing and we had played hard. The next day was mixed doubles and my new partner, Ed Burke, from Kelowna was a good player and fun. It was 70+ so I had to play down again, (remember I am 82). I think it was a lot to expect top performance of myself with new partners and playing indoors, not my favorite surface. A nice surprise each day was having friends David and Dolores Brewer drive from Port Moody to root for me. However we did not place in the medals.
I still had plans on my agenda for the rest of Saturday.
By two thirty, when the tournament was finished, Merrie and I hightailed it out to the freeway so I could drop her off in Richmond and I could continue onto Vancouver to meet up with my friend Wesley, the generous car owner. ( I will elaborate more in a few minutes). This was a lot of driving, maneuvering from lane to lane, taking the proper off ramps so I could arrive at my friend's elegant down town building. Again I used my cell to alert Wesley to come down to the entrance to rescue me. This building is the highest one in Vancouver and very impressive.
Everything is busy in the heart of this big city, people rushing from Saturday events or retuning from a day of fun at the beach or favorite bar.It all has a sophisticated aire and very cool!
Wesley is ready and waiting for me and waves as I cruise slowly to a stop in a lucky parking space on the street. He suggests going immediately to West Van and Horseshoe Bay to get in the line up for the ferry that will take us to Sechelt, probably arrive well before nightfall. We are using every minute to our advantage. I try to take a deep breath. He takes over the driving and I relax into the passenger seat and let the final miles drift by. Once in Horseshoe Bay, we line up for the next ferry scheduled to arrive in three quarters of an hour. We stroll into the town and decide to have a quick dinner of fish and chips. I realized I was really hungry. Trolls was always the place but now Wesley, such a Foodie, chooses a newer restaurant saying, "This place has the crispiest batter and most delishest fish choices. When our order arrives, it is just as he promised: delish, light and crispy. Mine was cod, his was snapper. Back in the line up all the cars go forward into the yawning hold and we are on our way. This ferry holds hundreds of vehicles. It is only a forty minute ride to Sechelt. We walk the upper deck, I welcome the fresh, cool breezes. I turn my face into the wind and it ruffles my hair. Looking out to the far shore and small islands that we passed, it is such a welcome calm in my day. Sechelt is the first port of call on this particular route so we hurry down to the lower hold to find our car and are ready to disembark. Today has been such a whirlwind; a tournament in Abbotsford, driving lots of miles back to Richmond, saying good by to Merrie, and saying hello to Wes in Vancouver. I try to take it all in my stride.
I am excited with the thought of seeing the beach house. I'm not sure how long he has had it, but at least several years. Over time he and David, his long time partner, would mention being there, and I felt lucky to be going there now.
Let me explain. Wesley has been going through the terrible loss of his partner, David, a wonderful man, who died a year ago. Such a blow! One is never ready to accept such a tragedy. Wesley has accepted the challenge and seems to be bearing up quite well, but there is much sadness below the surface. I feel glad to be able to share this sorrow with him and give him support. We are both looking forward to the enveloping arms of the beach house, the ocean and time together.
Wes is pleased to show me this wonderful retreat. Right on the water, it is part of an elegant development of five houses clustered at the ocean with more homes clinging up the hillside. Right beside the front door, a cedar totem guards the entrance. Inside, each room is wonderful. The kitchen has every appliance; gas fired stove top, espresso machine, large fridg, ample cutlery and knives and of course all the small wares that is so Wesley. Special touches are everywhere. We settle in and enjoy the scene. Music was soon filling the air, drinks and nibbles come next and we began my most anticipated time of the trip.
We both just absorb the feeling of calm. neither of us was interested in more than to be in the now. . Just to be here was enough for today. After conversation and thoughtful reminisces about David, some humorous, some sad, we called it a day and I retired to the soft quilts and down pillows of my guest room. I slept soundly. Sunday had a beautiful sunrise, warm, with a pink and blue sky. I quietly let myself out to walk the beach and truly enjoy the area. When I returned, Wes was up and we decided to go into the village nearby for a latte and something in the way of breakfast. The cafe was busy with lots of patrons picking their favorite pastries. A blueberry muffin of enormous size, or apple; glazed pear tartletts, small custard cakes, chocolate and pecan cookies to name a few choices. Whole pies and cakes were also for sale. Wes bought a 7" chocolate cake, his personal favorite to have on hand for later. Everything looked delicious and obviously this baker knew her pastries. When we finished out treats, a walk around town was next. Because it was Sunday, many of the shops were closed. Remember this is a small town and not too interested in big business, the pace is slow. One store was open tho', the fish shop, and on the spot we decided to see what it might have to make dinner at home. Everything on display was super fresh, just in that morning. Fresh halibut was tempting, so that was it. With our purchase carefully wrapped, we drove along to the next village and stopped at a local dock, with a high end restaurant overlooking the water: Also a herbal spa. I think the whole thing was called The Painted Boat. Things like this are so wonderful just tucked away in this little community. Of course all the local residents know about it!
We returned to the beach house and started to construct dinner. I searched thru the fridg. and found Prochiuto so wrapped the ribbons of Halibut with it ready for assembly. Steamed baby potatoes, the Halibut seared in a tab. of butter in a hot pan, then finished in the oven. A savory marmalade of fresh, diced cherries under the fish rounded out the plate. Minced chives from the neighbors garden sprinkled around the edges of the white plates was just right.A toss of garden greens for a small salad followed it, and this finished it all. We did have the reserved chocolate cake later. The whole thing was perfect but no picture. Sorry, what was I thinking, next time! In my ongoing blog, I will finish with the book signing, bye for now
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment