Saturday, May 23, 2015

Still Baking

It is mid May, and we are getting into the hot part of the year here in Florida, so a new routine comes to life. More things to do inside after 10 AM. Of course there is still Pickleball first thing the morning at 8, while the dew is still heavy on the grass and the sun starts to sparkle, warming the flowers. Our garden is nicely underway for the summer so after a quick review of all the spent Geranuim heads to pick off, I return back inside the house again. How lovely and cool it is inside. Here in the house I start to look at all the dusty places that I have missed during the year; the tops of pictures, the drapes, pleated lamp-shades and all the places the regular vacuum misses. Amazing how it collects! Anyway, after 2 hours of real dusting with the mini Bissell,  and the sheets on the beds changed, I look about for my next inspiration. Of course it will be baking.
This is the time to try one of those recipes that has been hanging in the background of my files waiting to be the next best thing ever! With my big lettering added on the top of each recipe, it shouts--- Try this- it sounds good. However there are about 12 such sheets of hastily torn out pages from various magazines or from friends that are still hiding in the file cabinet. What to start with? What does my mouth salivate for? Ah ha, I pick up the alluring Cherry Tart picture and read it through. Yes, I have everything in the pantry, so this is the one I choose for today.

I give no thought to weight loss or calories, just the challenge of a new flavor and beautiful presentation that the picture suggests.
All the ingredients are now on the counter and I begin by lightly greasing the tart pan as the recipe suggests. I look fondly at the pan: it is nice to be able to use this 5/10 shape instead of the normal round tart tin.
My mind floats back to Oregon and my custom bakery there. I had every cake tin shape times 3, plus my own collection and equipment of every description. I had a big garage sale before we moved to Florida thinking we might end up living on a boat!  8 years later I have been collecting baking pans of various sizes once again after frivolously giving away all my baking things. The wild thoughts of living on a boat did not happen.  Did I really think I could give up baking? So back to the Cherry Tart.

The pastry easily comes together using butter and the usual flour with the added flavor of ground almonds to the mix. ( A nice touch). I divide it in two and proceed to press part of it into the fluted long tin,(removable bottom), and set it in the freezer for 10 minutes. (ps don't make the pastry too thick), Meanwhile, I roll out the other half  between plastic wrap, (wax paper if you have it), and score off long strips one inch wide,to use as lattice for topping.  This goes in the freezer too, to firm up for easy handling.

My oven is preheated to 400.
The tart goes in for 10 minutes to be briefly baked blind, (without filling). If it puffs up too much, press back down with the back of a fork.
The cherry pie filling is scooped out of the can and spread nicely over the pastry.
Next the lattice pieces come out of the freezer and are fitted across the top in a cross hatch fashion.  Everything is looking wonderful!

Reduce the oven to 375.
Egg wash the surface of the tart and into the oven for 15 minutes.
Remove to egg wash again and add crushed Pistachio nuts around the edges.
Back into the oven and finish for about another 15 minutes or until well browned and puffy, altogether about 40 minutes baking time


                        Here is my finished product. We hold off until it cools and then enjoy every bite.

                                                                               Yummm!


Cherry Tart
2 cups flour
10 oz ground almonds
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter plus 2 tb Crisco
1 cup sugar
2 eggs

1 can cherry pie filling or cherry preserves

Method
Preheat oven to 400
Lightly grease  tart pan 5/10, set aside.

In food processor, add flour almonds, salt and sugar and process together.
Add cut up butter and Crisco and whirl to lightly combine.
add eggs and finish to large crumbly stage.
Turn out on counter and press together. divide in two, adding one piece to the fridge to chill.
Follow all next instructions from above description.

ps this pastry dough recipe makes more than enough for one tart. Save leftovers, label and freeze for another day.


















No comments:

Post a Comment