Saturday, June 27, 2015
Addendum to my Pickleball Life.
This is an addition to my April 27 review about my Pickleball Life.
I have just scrolled back to my enthusiastic review of my Pickleball Life as of April 27. I wrote down my thoughts a few months ago; then it was a very big part of my day with clear goals and energy. I had been training religiously towards taking part in the 2015 National Senior Games in Minneapolis in July. No matter where you are in your pattern of life, a crisis can sneak up and throw you a whamie without warning. We are never ready!
It was all so perfect. My senior partners, 80+ for woman's doubles and mixed doubles were wonderful choices. This was a one time chance to prove to all , (and myself), that I was a top player in my age group.
Just to get quality partners at this skill level, this age group and eagerness to travel and participate was an accomplishment. Over 55 and in groupings of 5, the senior players do thin out in the upper brackets. The 50,-54, 55-59 and so on, each group might have 30- 40 teams. But how many players are over 80?
So back to the up coming tournament. The competing teams from all across the US, had been registered and in 80+ for women's doubles, there were only 3 teams??? We would have a great chance to medal. Wow, where are all the over 80 women? My excitement continued to increase.
Back to the 5th of June and heading home after another morning of vigorous, healthy play. I noticed a soreness in my throat. I am never sick, but the scary thought slid into my mind that if this was the flu or?--- I needed to get better fast as the tournament was not far off. The week end progressed with a lot of pain and by Monday I was at the Dr.s office right away. I went on and on about the tournament trying to impress him of the importance of fading time, and finally went home with some antibiotics and hoped for the best. Several more days slipped away and my infection continued. I couldn't get out of bed so resisted all other efforts to do so and rested. Several more visits and other useless drugs kept me in bed for most of June. I was now a basket case trying each day to get better. I was frantic and desperate confirming to myself that I would still be going to the tournament, hell or high water. The Dr. just let me rant on. Finally a blood test revealed a real possibility that I had Leukemia!
It took several days for this to sound real to me. I had to recover: even if I was sick I would still fly to the games and get on with some sort of treatment when I came back. I mean I couldn't let my partners down.They were my first priority.
The rude awaking came when I tried to play a few practice games here at our own courts. I appeared to be too sick; unstable, jittery and overwhelmed by it all. I tried to play 3 mornings in a row. It was now clear that I would not be going. Back home after that day, I phoned my partners and gave them the bad news that I had to withdraw. I was so despondent and heart broken knowing I was so close to the "Perfect", game, but now the combination would be gone forever.
Some people say "It's just a game", but to me it was a mile marker in my current life. At 83 this was not going to come together again! When I talked with my partner, Marion from Delaware, I said all the right things to her; I know you will be lucky and find a new partner before game time, you will still be able to compete, you can now pair with my super mixed partner etc. but I was only hiding my jealous side, that it would still be good for her and I would be the loser because of some wild infection that had suddenly taken root in my system. Life is so unfair!!!
As I accepted the fact I would not be traveling, I was now waiting for the results of a second blood test, this one by the Oncologist specialist. What will it reveal? Maybe it won't be so bad? Something simple could be the reason my white cells are off the page. Today was the arranged time to contact him. I typed in the number and nervously waited for him to come to the phone. Well, he didn't have a clear picture yet because he had not included some technological item in the line up. This didn't make me feel very confident so far. Would I go and do a third blood test and then maybe we could talk for some results. Punching off the call, I was furious and felt very out of control. So much time fooling around, week to week. I needed to get answers soon. The medical system was playing Dr. with my life.
This time next week, we will meet and I hope to get some answers and maybe it won't be all bad.
Well I still am waiting for clarification as I was next set up for a bone Marrow biopsy and then an unpleasant Cat Scan.
The Dr. is away on vacation this week, so I now have an appointment for the 22 July. that will be the important event with all the results. Waiting...Waiting.
Will it all be a big relief when he says it is something that can be easily controlled with meds or? I hope so and get on with my life. I will add to this story soon. Today's date is July 14th.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment